Be Honest, Be Yourself, and Have Fun - in that order

1 comment
Today's online dating for disabled insight featured by Brad Skeats (41). So you're thinking into the world of online dating? Oh, where to begin...

Today there are so many sites that it can be overwhelming trying to decide where to start. I've always preferred the paid membership sites—specifically eHarmony and Match. I've found that, in contrast to some free sites like Plenty of Fish, people I've been matched with on these paid sites are a little more serious about meeting a potential partner. Which site you decide to try will ultimately come down to how serious you are about meeting a partner, how much time you're willing to commit to filling out a profile, and what you can afford.

Unfortunately, with online dating, as is often the case with social media, people sometimes enjoy taking liberties and feel the need to stretch the truth. I'm not saying that everyone does, and in my experience within the sometimes crazy, sometimes wonderful world of online dating, I've seen both the good and the bad (Even some ugly, truth be told). That being said, I've been introduced to some truly wonderful people online, even some "willing to take a chance on a guy in a chair".

While everyone living with a disability will employ their own approach to disclosing their disability, and its various trials and tribulations, fun and frivolity. I've always chosen to adopt the full disclosure approach. From what I've been told, It's always been appreciated, and in the end I'd rather they have the knowledge up front, just as I would like to have. I've always been sure to include a photo of myself in my everyday wheelchair and as an athlete, in some kind of sport chair.

One of the important things to remember when delving into the world of online dating as and individual living with a disability is that many of the people you meet may have little or no knowledge or experience with disability. With this in mind, I always try and make any date feel as comfortable as possible so they feel like they can ask about my life and experiences living with a spinal cord injury. It's not always easy to be inundated with so many questions date after date but it can lead to some amazing conversations and the opportunity for a closer and more open relationship moving forward. In the end, just be honest, be yourself, and have fun!

1 comment:

  1. If you'd like an alternative to randomly approaching girls and trying to find out the right thing to do...

    If you'd rather have women pick YOU, instead of spending your nights prowling around in crowded bars and nightclubs...

    Then I encourage you to play this eye-opening video to learn a shocking little secret that might get you your very own harem of sexy women just 24 hours from now:

    Facebook Seduction System!!!

    ReplyDelete